Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Head of Operations Information Systems Architecture
at Amgen Inc.
Career CategoryInformation Systems
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering creative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and uses its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people’s lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world’s leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Main Job Purpose:
Amgen is seeking a motivated Information Systems (IS) professional to function as the Lead IS Architect for the Operations Information Systems (OIS) organization at its main headquarters in Thousand Oaks, CA. As the Head of OIS Architecture, you will own the overall architecture of systems solutions and will actively work with Enterprise Architecture and OIS teams. This person will also be working across Enterprise teams, Operations teams (manufacturing, process development, supply chain, etc), and other strategic business partners.
The Head of OIS Architecture will report to the Head of OIS. You will also engage with the businesses’ functional leads and architects to ensure robust, well-designed deployments of technology systems. Ensuring compliance with the Amgen IS city plan is required.
OIS is accountable for the delivery of the Information technologies, Operations technologies, Digital and Analytics capabilities that enable the successful development, design, manufacturing, distribution and commercialization of Amgen products. The business is responsible for the development and execution of the IT strategy, architecture and operations by delivering business information systems, automation, IT services and digital technology solutions and devices.
Key Activities for the Head of OIS Architecture include:
- Work with OIS teams to ensure robust, well-designed systems which are consistent with the Amgen IS city plan
- Develop the OIS “City Plan” Architecture standards and practices, in alignment with the Enterprise City Plan.
- Steward of the Enterprise Architecture standards and practices across the OIS organization.
- Work with OIS teams to develop proposals for review by the Enterprise Architecture Review Board
- Active, voting member of the Amgen’s Architecture Review Board, representing OIS and its business partners.
- Partner with the Enterprise Architecture team to refine and develop the Amgen IS City Plan, ensuring operations and manufacturing priorities and business needs are considered.
- Provide vision, architectural insight, testing and mentorship for introducing new technology into OIS
- Train OIS staff in architectural design principles applicable to OIS
- Train OIS and Amgen IS staff in new technologies being introduced into OIS and Amgen
- Develop a deep understanding of the Operations business needs, processes, and environment
- Develop a deep understanding of OIS deployed system landscape
- An understanding of how to work with, and motivate technical and non-technical teams to achieve OIS and operations objectives in a technically sound manner
- Travel: Domestic and International travel up to 25% may be required
Doctorate degree and 4 years of Information Systems experience
Master's degree and 8 years of Information Systems experience
Bachelor's degree and 10 years of Information Systems experience
Preferred Qualifications –
- Technical Expertise: Strong understanding of biotechnology information systems and associated technology
- Demonstrated ability to architect complex IS systems
- Deep understanding of the requirements for robust well-designed IS and business systems
- Experience directing solution design, business processes redesign and software implementation in a drug development lab / commercialization environment
- Deep understanding of operating in a GMP environment and productionizing solutions in a GMP validated state
- Demonstrated ability to understand, and establish adoption model for new technology
- Ability to run inexpensive proof of concepts to establish critical technical understandings
- Ability to lead technical staff
- Ability to deal with complexity and ambiguity, ability to see the big picture, ability to collect, digest and assemble information to enable relevant business analyses and facilitate decision-making
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission – to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do.
We equip all our staff members to live well-rounded, healthy lives. Most recently, Amgen added benefits for transgender employees and continues to pride itself on industry-leading, family-friendly offerings for families of all compositions.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its biologics manufacturing expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.