Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. SDET (Software Development Engineer in Test)
at Avalara, Inc.
In this role, you will be responsible for functional, performance and integration testing by creating automated test cases to ensure world class quality of Avalara products. You will be responsible for understanding requirements and designing test cases from the requirements. You will be working closely with Product Management and Developer teams on a day to day basis. You will be the voice of the customer within the organization, demanding zero defects, and ease of use.
We have a startup culture focused on building great software and having the maximum impact on the world that we can and having fun while doing it. We’d love to talk to you about what we are up to.
- Participate in sprint planning, providing input on required testing tasks, process, and associated effort for the selected user stories
- Responsible for automated testing throughout agile development iterations to ensure zero defects
- Analyze customer bugs and provide developers with a diagnostic and possible way to fix it
- Contribute towards continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Responsible for creating performance and load tests and report on performance impact for every release
- Be a key participant in creating a Quality First and Zero Defects culture
- Help to create and maintain enterprise level documentation for a new and fast-growing solution
- Assist the team in improving and adding to monitoring systems in CI, QA, and production environments
- Assist the team in effectively consuming data coming from analytics and monitoring systems, building clear reporting conduits that separate gems from noise and help the team react quickly and effectively to fix developing issues
- Work closely with the SRE team to come up with plans for deployment
Qualifications (absolute must-haves walking in the door)
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience supporting teams shipping complex applications to large-scale production environments
- Must be located in the Toronto, ON area and be in the office on a regular basis
- Experience creating and using test automation frameworks and tools
- Strong QA skills: planning, exploratory testing, defect reporting and troubleshooting
- Experience working on and testing RESTful web services written in Java
- A strong background with SQL
- Experience with distributed collaboration tools such as Git, JIRA, and wikis
- Experience working with solutions built on different technology stacks
- Working knowledge of AWS
- Experience understanding complex requirements and designing test plans from it
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and flexibility to work collaboratively with others in a dynamic environment
- Excellent communication skills, collaboration, follow-up, and self-motivation
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Knowledge of working on Jenkins (or similar)
- Strong coding skills with experience in object oriented languages such as C# or Java
- Relevant experience moving teams towards continuous deployment systems
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.