City of Fountain Valley
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Fountain Valley
The Fountain Valley Community Services Department is currently recruiting for Recreation Specialists at both the Senior Center and at the Recreation Center. Applicants may be contacted by either division and are encouraged to indicate preference, if any, on the application.
This is a continuous recruitment that may close at any time, and without notice. Prompt application is encouraged.
Assist in the planning, development, and coordination of a variety of recreation programs including adult and youth sports, recreation, senior services, and other activities.
The Recreation Specialist is responsible for overseeing the administration of a variety of recreation programs and activities.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
The incumbent works under the general supervision of the Community Services Supervisor and exercises technical and functional supervision over part-time and seasonal employees.
- Job Overview
- Assist in the planning, development, and coordination of adult and youth recreation programs including sports, aquatics, senior services, contract classes, special events, and other recreational activities.
- Assist in scheduling, training, and overseeing part-time staff and volunteers for recreational events and activities.
- Perform a variety of general administrative duties including: answer telephones, assist customers, collect fees, class registration, maintain attendance and other records and reports, prepare simple correspondence, data entry, filing, and copying.
- Promote the safety of all program participants.
- Assist with the set-up and take-down of tables, chairs, and sports equipment for all facility activities including special events.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment including personal computer.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Qualifications Guidelines
- High school graduation or equivalent is highly desirable.
- College-level coursework in recreation, physical education, or a related field is highly desirable.
Previous experience coordinating municipal recreation programs is highly desirable.
- Basic principles and practices of recreation administration.
- Principles and techniques of planning group activities.
- Modern office practices, procedures, methods, and equipment.
- Plan, organize, and direct a variety of recreation programs and activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, City officials, schools, and the public.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Coordinate efforts with other City departments, divisions, and community groups.
- Deal effectively and courteously with the public.
- Deal constructively with conflict resulting in effective resolution of issues.
- Maintain a variety of records and reports.
- Use a personal computer and a variety of computer software.
- Maintain facilities and equipment in a clean, safe, and secure manner.
- A valid California Class "C" driver's license.
- Valid American Red Cross First Aid certification.
- Valid American Red Cross CPR certification.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT:Must be available to work weekends and evenings as needed.
PHYSICAL TASKS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Work is primarily performed in an office environment requiring prolonged sitting or standing; walking, kneeling, crouching, squatting, stooping and bending; input data into a computer terminal; exposure to computer glare, vibrations and pitch; ability to lift, carry and move objects totaling approximately 50 pounds or more in weight; and have mobility, vision, hearing, and dexterity levels appropriate to the duties to be performed.
When assigned to aquatics: work is primarily performed outside requiring prolonged standing; walking, kneeling, crouching, squatting, stooping and bending; prolonged periods in the water; work on slippery and uneven surfaces; ability to lift, carry and move objects totaling up to 100 pounds in weight; may be exposed to chlorine, acids and other chemicals as well as blood and body fluids; and have mobility, vision, hearing, and dexterity levels appropriate to the duties to be performed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required.
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT DESIGNATION: