Fontana Unified School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Fontana Unified School District
Under general supervision, the School Resource Officer is assigned to one or more school sites to protect life and property; responds to alarms and calls for assistance; performs a variety of investigative and protective duties to provide security services in assigned areas of the District; performs related duties as required.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS):
- Is assigned to one or more sites for extended periods of time to assist school administrators in maintaining school regulations.
- Patrols buildings and grounds on foot or in a radio equipped vehicle to provide protection against vandalism, burglary, arson, trespassing and theft.
- Maintains radio communication with District security personnel and responds to dispatch calls for assistance promptly and professionally.
- Conducts investigations of crimes against property and persons or criminal acts occurring on District property, including bus transportation and makes arrests as required by law.
- Makes recommendations regarding security matters.
- Prepares written reports to be submitted to prosecuting agencies and/or school administrators for possible suspension or expulsion.
- Identifies type of crime and collects, preserves and impounds evidence.
- Attends court hearings or trials as required.
- Serves warrants and civil papers and makes arrests as required by law.
- Prepares cases to obtain restitution for damage to or theft of District property.
- Diffuses rumors of aggressive behavior on a daily basis.
- Counsels students and advises parents.
- Identifies confrontations on campus and gives classroom talks regarding youth and the law.
- Establishes, maintains and/or supports standards of personal conduct and discipline in accordance with the current discipline policy approved by the Board of Education.
- Assists and cooperates with administrators, school staff and other law enforcement agencies.
- Follows all procedures consistent with district established policies, school police directives and school site administrative procedures.
- Participates in programs related to law enforcement and safety education.
- May assist in the preparation of school site emergency procedure plan.
Position Specific (Traffic Patrol Officer):
- Enforces parking and traffic regulations on District property, streets surrounding schools, District property, and school bus stops
- Controls traffic flow, patrols parking lots on district property and issues citations
- Maintains orderly control of large crowds and enforces safety regulations when assigned to special events (athletic events, dances, plays, open houses and other events as assigned)
- Follows school buses to ensure student safety and enforces state and local vehicle-related regulations by issuing citations.
Skill / Requirements
- Prepare cases for complaint and to represent the District in court
- Write complete, concise reports
- Collect and analyze information and make independent judgments
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with pupils, staff, law enforcement agencies and the public
Incorporated within one or more of the previously mentioned performance responsibilities, which are essential functions of this job description, are the following essential physical requirements:
- Mobility sufficient for rapid coverage of total campus
- Ability to see, hear, and speak for purposes of observation of student behavior, giving direction, and enforcing rules.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel, run, and crawl.
- Ability to pull or drag up to 165 pounds.
Credentials and Experience:
- California Basic P.O.S.T. (Police Officer Standards and Training) Certificate OR successful completion of a basic POST approved academy within the last three (3) years.
- Meet legal requirements for possession of a concealable firearm
- High school diploma or the equivalent.
- Valid CPR and First Aid certificate
- Valid California driver's license.
- Prior experience working with juveniles desirable.
- Advanced modern investigative and law enforcement procedures
- Applicable municipal and State codes and court procedures
- Laws of California including Penal, Vehicle, Welfare and Institutions, and Health and Safety
- District policies and procedures
--Physical agility test (may be required)
--Medical examination/drug screening
--Comprehensive background investigation
--Citizen or permanent resident alien who is eligible and has applied for citizenship
BENEFITS PACKAGE FOR SWORN POSITIONS:
- PERS 3% @ 50 for Classic PERS Members and new members as of January 1, 2013 will participate in the 2.7% @ 57 formula (9% currently paid by employee, 9% matching contribution by FUSD)
- Full Medical/Vision/Dental insurance for employee and dependants; 0 contribution by employee.
- 130 hours of paid holiday per year
- P.O.S.T incentive pay for intermediate/advanced certificates (3% and 5%, non- cumulative, respectively).
- 96 hours of vacation per year (additional time accrued beginning with 5th and 11th years of service).
- 96 hours of sick leave per year.
- Life insurance policy paid by FUSD, upgradeable to $300,00 at nominal cost.
- Plan 125 available.
- Longevity incentives
- $1,000 per year uniform allowance
- Education incentives
Position is Open Until Filled - Subject to close at anytime.
* Interested candidates must apply on Edjoin.org (Please click below to apply)
* Please DO NOT send resume in lieu of application. Candidates will only be considered via completed application on Edjoin.org and resumes may be attached in Edjoin
FONTANA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The Fontana Unified School District's programs, activities, and practices shall be free from discrimination based on race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identify or expression, or genetic information; the perception of one or more of such characteristics; or association with a person or group with one or more of these perceived characteristics.
PLEASE NOTE: ANY APPLICANT WHO ATTEMPTS TO DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY CONTACT INDIVIDUAL BOARD MEMBERS WITH THE INTENT OF INFLUENCING THE DECISION OF THE BOARD WILL BE CONSIDERED DISQUALIFIED FROM CANDIDACY FOR THIS POSITION.