La Sierra University
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at La Sierra University
The Accountant II will have great exposure to all areas of accounting including analysis of balance sheet accounts, month end close procedures, journal entries, bank and account reconciliations, A/P and special projects as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to accounts, such as general ledger accounts, documenting business transactions.
- Distributes expenditures, encumbrances, receipts, and receivables according to schedules.
- Analyzes financial information detailing assets, liabilities, and capital to prepare reports summarizing and interpreting current and projected University financial position for Financial Administration.
- Determines proper handling of financial transactions and approves transactions within designated limits.
- Monitors compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and university procedures.
- Reviews, investigates, and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports.
- Makes recommendations regarding the accounting of reserves, assets, and expenditures.
- Conducts studies and submits recommendations for improving the organization's accounting operation.
- Collects appropriate data and prepares federal, state, and local reports and tax returns
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university; three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Windows environment. Proficiency in the Banner ERP considered a plus. Ability to operate a computer, typewriter, calculator, facsimile, copier and other standard office equipment.
Certificates and Licenses:
No certifications needed
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Candidate must have strong attention to detail and follow-through skills. Must have the ability to understand the importance of and uphold confidentiality regarding records. Employee will also need good organizational and communication skills.