Palmdale School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Substitute Paraeducator-Translator (Deaf and Hard-Hearing)
at Palmdale School District
- Under the general supervision of a certificated administrator and direction of a teacher, uses total communication e.g. sign language to instruct pupils individually or in groups in accordance with prescribed learning objectives, and act as a paraprofessional assistant to a teacher in performing assigned tasks.
- Example of Duties
- Use total communication skills (e.g. sign language) continuously while performing tasks;
- Under direction of a teacher, provide individualized instruction by matching instruction to the needs of each pupil; work with the pupils individually or in small groups to tutor, reinforce or follow up on learning activities;
- Translate oral or written English into total communication skills (e.g. sign language); help pupils relate to individual and groups in the mainstream environment; help pupil learn to be aware of their personal appearance and how to take care of personal needs; help pupils to be self-reliant;
- Assist teachers in establishing and maintaining a clean, safe and pleasant classroom and learning environment;
- Assist teacher in implementing the division course of study through individual and group instruction;
- Confer on a regular basis with teacher in regard to activities, instructional goal and objectives, student progress and pertinent health or behavior problems;
- May participate as a member to help develop and implement individual or site crisis management plans;
- Assist teachers with the modification and maintenance of appropriate standards of behavior for pupils; assist teachers with implementation of pupil's Individualized Education Program (IEP);
- Under the direction of the school administrator and the procedure observed by certified school staff member, assist pupils with taking medication; may administer first aide;
- Assist with supervision of classroom, outdoor playground and field trip activities to direct pupils into safe activities and relationships;
- Assist pupils in learning oral speech patterns by helping them produce sounds, words and sentences; assist teachers with classroom activities for pupils;
- Attend inservice and staff meetings as required;
- Perform routine clerical tasks; operate computer technology and office equipment for classroom related assignments;
- Maintain confidentiality of pupils records in accordance with legal requirements and policies;
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Experience:Three months of paid experience working with people who can communicate or be communicated with only through sign language. Any other combination of training and/or experience which demonstrates the applicant is likely to possess the required skills, knowledge, and abilities may be considered.ANDEducation:
Graduation from high school or equivalent. One specialized course in sign language may be substituted for three months of paid experience working with people who can communicate or be communicated with only through sign language.
In addition to a high school diploma or equivalent, applicants must meet one of the following:
a) Completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education (48 units from an accredited college or university);b) Obtained an Associates or higher degree; orc) Met a rigorous standard of quality and be able to demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment, knowledge of, and the ability to assist in instructing reading, writing and mathematics.
Personnel Commission administers the academic assessment exam to applicants that do not meet (a) or (b)
- Other Information
This position has federally mandated requirements of either: An AA degree or higher, OR at least 48 college units, OR a passing score using our NCLB academic assessment (reading, language arts, math).
If you have a degree or 48 college units, Official Transcripts MUST be uploaded at the time of your application.
If transcripts are not uploaded along with your application, you will be required to take our NCLB academic assessment in addition to the Substitute Paraeducator - Translator examination.
In accordance with Federal civil rights law, civil rights regulations and policies, the Palmdale School District, its offices, and employees, are prohibited from discriminating based on age, ancestry, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, gender identity, immigration status, marital status, nationality, parental status, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, political beliefs, or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any
program or activity.