SWCA Environmental Consultants
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Biological Field Technician
at SWCA Environmental Consultants
- Requisition Number
- # of Openings
- Office Location
- Natural Resources/Biology/Ecology
- Hire Type
About the opportunity
SWCA's Pasadena Natural Resources Program is actively seeking an entry-level Biological Field Technician to join our multi-disciplinary team in Pasadena, California. Work hours may vary seasonally and depend on project needs and your skills. It is anticipated that moderate travel, including overnight stays, will be required for this position. Fieldwork will include travel throughout southern and central California.
In this role you will be expected to independently perform nesting bird surveys, general habitat assessments, and construction monitoring. You will use aerial mapping, Survey123 and Collector software, GPS units, and other tools to determine project locations and document survey results. You will be expected to communicate effectively with SWCA project managers, construction crews, and other environmental specialists to complete the field work and reporting requirements. Your role will require you to understand project environmental requirements and the applicable laws and regulations protecting biological resources. Field work will be performed throughout southern and central California, and in varying field conditions environments which require operation of 4-wheel-drive vehicles. Some office work may be required include desktop review of project areas.
This is an on-call, hourly position, and pay will be based on individual qualifications and experience. On-call staff are requested for work as it becomes available and are free to accept or refuse the work based on their schedule. As the Pasadena Natural Resources group continues to grow, additional opportunities for advancement will be available.
What you will accomplish
- Conduct fieldwork including environmental inspections, wildlife and vegetation baseline studies, and nesting bird surveys.
- Photograph and record survey/monitoring results using Survey123 and Collector via handheld device.
- Communicate effectively with SWCA project managers and construction crews to complete the field work and reporting requirements.
- Prepare biological technical reports using standard templates
- Provide updates to Project Managers on progress, status, and estimated delivery of project deliverables
- Operate SWCA vehicles safely, including operation of 4-wheel-drive vehicles on rugged, back-country roads. Follow industry-leading safety check-in and reporting procedures.
Experience and qualifications for success
- B.S. in biology, zoology, environmental studies, or a related subject area required
- Experience working with Southern California natural resources; at least one-year of professional biological field experience is preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication, time management and organizational skills
- Able to conduct fieldwork for long hours in occasionally inclement weather including travel throughout southern and central California, and possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to operate a 4-wheel-drive vehicle preferred
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced, cross-functional team environment while working on interesting and challenging projects with tight schedule
- Preferred candidate will have proficiency in MS-Office, MS-Outlook, and Internet/Intranet technologies; ArcGIS, Survey123, and GoogleEarth familiarity a plus
- Able to work independently and collaborate with a variety of colleagues and clients
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.