Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Operations Manager, Food Safety Audits
at UL LLC
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Job Category
- Field Operations/Follow-Up Services
Other companies make products. We make a difference! Click Here!
Contribute to a Safer, More Secure, and More Sustainable World. At UL, we know why we come to work. Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with one common purpose – to make the world a safer, more secure, and more sustainable place to live. We clear the way for our customers to introduce the latest products, technological advances, and systems in an increasingly complex world so they can provide peace of mind to the market. Our integrity is woven throughout our company and shapes the way we approach and deliver our solutions. We are proud that the work we do every day has a meaningful contribution to society. We continue to build upon our legacy of trusted expertise and partnership to keep our communities safe and secure as we march forward into the future. This helps us to sleep better at night, and we are confident that the millions of people we touch rest easier too.
UL Consumer & Retail Services is seeking a visible and respected leader to lead the Food Safety Audit business. Reporting to the General Manager, Audits & Inspections, the Operations Manager will hold P&L responsibility and have managerial responsibility for the Field Operations function. The Operations Manager - Food Safety Audits will be responsible for the development and achievement of strategies and initiatives to deliver on business goals, in collaboration with colleagues within the CRS division, and functional support resources. The Operations Manager – Food Safety Audits will be responsible for developing a scalable Operating Model for Food Safety Audits, including continual improvement of process, clearly defining roles and measurements at each level, and enhancing quality management systems and enabling technology to enable the expansion of the Food Safety Audit business. The position will interface with internal colleagues and external clients, as well as various levels of management on applicable matters, working with direct reports to ensure that client projects are completed in a timely manner at the highest standard of quality.
Employee Development and Mentorship
- Develop a high performing team by managing the performance and development of team members, ensuring ongoing training, career counseling, feedback, and guidance to drive high performance and morale.
- Identify high performing and high potential employees to take on additional responsibilities
- Bring Clarity to roles and responsibilities with clear measurements of success for all functions and individuals
- Mentor and teach the principles of business acumen and ensure knowledge sharing
- Develop and maintain Auditor bonus programs to incentivize productivity, quality, and employee satisfaction.
- Operates effectively to actively support and drive high performance culture changes, transformation efforts and people engagement.
- Holds organization accountable for results, clearly defining accountabilities and establishing performance objectives, feedback and KPI’s to execute strategy.
- Ensures understanding of and compliance with all established UL company policies
Operational Systems and Processes
- Develop operational processes that proactively prevent problems from occurring and resolves conflicts by demonstrating leadership and appropriate decision-making competencies.
- Identify and provide technical and process improvement recommendations based on best practices and industry standards and drive implementation
- Maintain and enhance Quality Management System to ensure the consistent application of audit methodology and defensibility of results, including auditor training, knowledge management systems, and standard operating procedures to ensure calibration to client requirements.
- Review the use of enabling technology to ensure visibility to operational reporting and provide clients with data required to manage their Food Safety Audit programs. Achieves objectives through effective resource allocation, identifying and evaluating operations for continuous improvement.
- Manages and appropriately escalates delivery impediments, risks, issues, and changes associated to the delivery of client projects.
- Ensures a pro-active and robust approach to auditor recruitment, onboarding, communication, and management.
- Prepare Budgets and Business Plans with Profit & Loss responsibility for the Food Safety Audit Service Line, including understanding, analyzing, and evaluating revenue streams, costs, margins, and operating profit and the appropriate actions and accountabilities to drive results.
- Supports the development and implementation of new Audit, Advisory, and Data Management services to address client needs, through management of the commercial and technical teams, and collaboration with functional support teams.
- Works closely with the CRS leadership team to understand/translate priorities and execute on business strategy.
- Communicates and exemplifies UL’s Vision and Mission. Leads, promotes and embraces change for self and team. Collaborates and builds trust within the organization and with customers to meet or exceed their expectations. Develops strong, flexible cross-functional networks and global relationships to promote becoming the fastest, highest quality and most customer-friendly organization. Coaches and mentors employees to do the same.
- Liaise with divisional support functions (HR, Finance, IT, Marketing)
- Performs other duties as directed.
- University degree (Equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor’s degree) in Business Administration or a related field plus generally eight to ten (8-10) years of Field Operations Management or related experience with gradually increasing responsibilities.
- Demonstrated abilities in leading and engaging teams (track record of being a solid coach, mentor, and developer of talent), field operations management, strategic planning, risk management, change management, and project management.
- In-depth understanding of field operations management best practices, including quality management systems, financial management, training systems, and leveraging enabling operational technologies.
- Strong financial and business acumen required as well as excellent judgment, strong analytical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Self-motivated individual with excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills and relationship building skills to build consensus, achieve business results and promote organizational success.
- Ability to coach and mentor team members to function as one team, and develop individually.
- Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of auditors, client services, technical team, support services operations resources, clients, and internal colleagues.
- Ability to drive big picture goals and milestones while valuing and maintaining strong attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly identify and drive to the optimal solution when presented with a series of constraints
- Demonstrated ability to assist in developing and implementing strategies, to build business plans when and where necessary and to facilitate meetings, negotiate and influence outcomes.
- Strong program/project management and leadership skills required to help manage multiple projects as needed.
- Knowledge of Food Safety Auditing and understanding of US Food Code is preferred, including REHS Certification is preferred, but not required.