Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Hardware Design Engineer
at Virgin Orbit
- Req No.
- Regular Full-Time
Who we are
At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as Hardware Design Engineer. If you join us in this position, you will assist in the design, development, and verification of high-performance Avionics hardware for the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. You will see the hardware you’ve designed and touched fly into space. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Work with a team of hardware, software, integration, structural, and propulsion engineers to implement a set of requirements in order to design avionics hardware to assure mission success and safety to the public and crew.
- Assist in the development and integration of avionics sensing, control, and processing boards.
- Serve as the technical engineer to define, model, analyze, design, build, and test board-level analog and digital circuits.
- Select electrical components. Work with manufacturing, production, and purchasing, to source and assemble printed circuit board assemblies.
- Support environmental test as needed, including thermal, vibration, shock, EMI/EMC, and radiation tests on hardware components.
- Participate in and lead design reviews, technical reviews, trade studies, analyses, and data reviews.
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world, and worlds beyond, a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- B.S. in Electrical or Computer Engineering or related field with 4+ years of direct experience in electrical hardware development
- Proficiency with a schematic capture and PCB design software (Altium, OrCAD)
- Direct hands-on experience with analog, digital and mixed-signal circuit analysis, simulation, design, test, and debug
- Knowledge of signal integrity, power, grounding and general board layout principles
- Drive to constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members.
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Experience with Altium schematic and layout
- Demonstrated expertise designing IPC Class 2/3 board assemblies
- Familiarity with IPC-A-600/610, DO-254, NASA-STD-8739, or similar standards
- Familiarity with analog and digital filters, power regulation, and amplifiers
- Familiarity with requirements and test methods for harsh environments including thermal, vibration, shock, EMI/EMC, and radiation. Familiarity with one or more of the following standards: SMC-S-016, DO-160, MIL-STD-810G.
- Experience with designing safety critical hardware components and performing failure mode effects analyses.
- Experience integrating software, hardware, and programmable logic in embedded systems
- Experience in programming or scripting languages (C/C++, Matlab, Python) for data capture and display, and control.
- Experience with mechanical enclosure design.
- Familiarity with different battery technologies, with tradeoffs and design implications
- Experience working with a variety of development teams including software, test, propulsion, structures, and operations.
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of
Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!” Search all of our job openings— www.VirginOrbit.com
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.