Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Youth Leader- APEX Academy Middle School- EXL
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Job Type
- Regular Part-Time
The Youth Policy Institute (YPI) is seeking a Senior Youth Leader for its Expanded Learning department. This position will provide homework assistance and a variety of academic, enrichment and recreational activities for students. The Senior Youth Leader will also assist in day-to-day operations of the expanded learning program. The YPI Senior Youth Leader works directly under the supervision of the Site Coordinator.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Lead and/or assist in managing day-to-day operations of the expanded learning program.
- Assist with student to staff ratio when necessary, facilitate classes and clubs as needed in absence of regularly assigned staff.
- Actively supervise a group of 20 students and facilitate safe, structured activities.
- Provide students with homework support.
- Develop activity plans around academic enrichment, recreation, and the arts.
- Implement age appropriate classroom and behavior management techniques.
- Demonstrate leadership and a commitment to educating, inspiring and empowering youth.
- Represent the mission of YPI and uphold all policies and procedures.
- Supervise all participants to ensure a safe learning environment.
- Must maintain accurate daily attendance records and ensure that students sign-in and sign-out each day.
- In the absence of the Site Coordinator, support with submitting all required documentation on a timely basis, including attendance reports, snack counts, program schedules, enrollment & consent forms, monthly supply orders, and field trip forms, amongst others.
- Assist in organizing and planning special events to highlight student work and promote overall expanded learning program.
- Connect with instructional day staff to increase student success and program alignment.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships, and communication with school personnel, YPI staff, students and families regarding all aspects of student involvement in the expanded learning program.
- Must maintain appropriate boundaries with students, parents, school personnel and staff at all times.
- Adhere to workplace safety guidelines.
- Attend all required staff meetings, trainings and events on and off-site.
- Must wear YPI uniform while on duty.
- Administer first-aid in case of minor injury.
- Operate programming with minimal supervision.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) required. Copy will be requested, if hired.
- Six months experience working with youth in a classroom or afterschool setting.
- Must have effective communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to assist students with academic assignments.
- Interest in any of the following: fine arts, technology, sciences, and/or athletics.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, as needed.
- Ability to use good judgment in challenging situations.
- Must have access to reliable transportation to arrive to work site at scheduled time consistently. If applicable, will be required to provide proof of current California driver license, acceptable driving record (current DMV H6 printout), and current liability auto insurance.
- Some evenings and/or weekends may be required.
- Bilingual (English/ Spanish) is a plus.
- Must pass a criminal background check (Live Scan fingerprinting) prior to beginning employment.
- Must present proof of negative tuberculosis skin test (Mantoux) prior to beginning employment dated within 60 days.
- Must complete CPR/First Aid certification within 60 calendar days of employment
- Completion of other required trainings (i.e. training against harassment, etc.) when assigned.
- Part-time position, partial year. Before school and/or afterschool schedule, some weekends and/or evenings may apply. Hours vary by school site and program need.